These items were taken from the Sun’s editions 20, 30 and 40 years ago.


Oct. 31-Nov. 1, 1980

Nearly 100 youngsters turned out on Parsons Plaza for a costume contest. Becky Taylor was the grand prize winner. She dressed as a table, set for a formal dinner. The scariest costume award went to Amber St. Clair, who wore a Jimmy Carter mask. Clay Stevens, Ty Kurtz, Hallie Nevis, Jack Jett and Mark Willard also won prizes.

Members of Wesley United Methodist Church of Parsons unanimously approved preliminary plans for their new church structure. The Rev. Paul Mitchell said bids could be received by Jan. 1. The estimated cost of the new building at the northeast edge of the city was $1.2 million. 


Oct. 31-Nov. 1, 1990

Local education administrators were among those opposed to a constitutional amendment on the ballot that  would give the Kansas Legislature the power to restructure the state’s educational system. Labette Community College President Joe Roberts said there were a “great deal of disadvantages.” USD 503 Superintendent Willis Heck said it would “change more often than would be good.” 

The St. Paul Indians beat Liberal, Missouri, 14-8. The win boosted St. Paul to 7-1 and virtually clinched its third straight state football playoffs appearance. St. Paul, a winner three times in overtime, nearly had to go that route again. In the game’s final minute, Keith Van Leeuwen intercepted a pass in the end zone. He also blocked a punt to set up a touchdown. Tim Harmon scored both Indian TDs. 


Oct. 31-Nov. 1, 2000

Southwestern Bell launched digital subscriber line service in Parsons. DSL enabled customers to access the internet at speeds 50 to 200 times faster than a modem on a standard telephone line. DSL allowed customers to instantly connect without any busy signals or waiting for the modem to dial. It allowed information to be downloaded at up to 1.5 megabytes per second. An enhanced DSL service allowed download speeds of six megabytes per second.

A Parsons man was in custody following an early morning fire at 320 N. Central that was suspected to be arson. A second suspect had not been located. Both were residents of Parsons State Hospital and Training Center. Fire and police were searching the remains of the former funeral home with a backhoe. Fire Chief Tim Hay said they were going through the debris as a precautionary measure to make sure the second suspect wasn’t in the debris. When firefighters arrived at 12:15 a.m., flames were shooting 20 to 30 feet out of the roof.

Recommended for you

Load comments