These items were taken from the Sun’s editions 20, 30 and 40 years ago.


Oct. 23, 1980

Because of a small turnout, a group of residents failed to reach a decision on the city of Parsons’ offer to settle out of court a lawsuit the residents filed against the proposed location of a low- and moderate-income housing project. Harold Shaw, a spokesman for the group, said another meeting would be held to consider the offer. City commissioners agreed to install additional fencing and landscaping near the proposed location of the project in an attempt to compromise. The residents filed suit over the location of nine of the 15 duplexes that were scheduled to be built on the west side of South 26th Street.


Oct. 23, 1990

Carl Williams, a 23-year veteran of the Secret Service, returned to his hometown to share some of his experiences, including four years guarding Presidents Nixon and Ford at the White House. Williams had recently retired from the Secret Service to become security manager for the Pacific division of MCI communications. The 1956 Parsons High School graduate guarded Nixon on trips to China, the Alps, the Kremlin, the Persian Gulf, Israel, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, India and Bangladesh. Williams spoke to students at Parsons Middle School and Parsons High School. Williams also worked in Secret Service field offices in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles and San Francisco, where he had guarded every president since Lyndon Johnson, plus foreign dignitaries including Hirohito, Anwar Sadat, Leonid Breshznev and the kings and queens of Spain and Sweden.


Oct. 23, 2000

St. Paul Mayor Gary Volmer announced that the city was receiving a Community Development Block Grant from the state that would provide the town with a new outdoor storm warning siren. City Clerk Louise Volmer said the new siren should arrive in five to six months. The city was using only an old fire whistle to warn residents of possible approaching storms. When the April 19 tornado hit Parsons and storms were headed toward St. Paul, the whistle didn’t work. Volmer said someone had to go out in a storm to manually turn on the whistle and take a 50-50 shot of it working.

Recommended for you

Load comments