She was born on Aug. 9, 1905, in Parsons to William H. and Anna (Bryant) Thomas. Her mother died when Veda was 2 years old, and later Myrtle (Clark) Thomas became her stepmother. She attended rural schools and Parsons schools, graduating from Parsons High School in 1923.
She received a life teaching certificate from Emporia State Teacher’s College and a bachelor of science degree from what is now Pittsburg State University.
She taught in Dennis and Altamont and at Springhill Country School as well as Garfield School, McKinley School and Parsons Junior High School in Parsons. She started the first special education class at the elementary level at Garfield in 1960 and at Parsons Junior High School in 1963.
Mrs. Woodward was the oldest member of First Presbyterian Church of Parsons, where she was baptized on Easter Sunday, 1919. She was married there on Oct. 23, 1932, to Forest M. Woodward. They moved into their longtime home on South 10th Street, which they had built, the day after their wedding. Mr. Woodward preceded her in death on March 13, 2002. They had attended services at the church as long as their health permitted.
She was a charter member of the Home Guide Demonstration Unit and the Parsons AARP organization. She held life memberships in the National Congress of Parents and Teachers (PTA) and of the Parsons Historical Society. She was a member of Kappa Delta Pi, a national honorary educational fraternity, and of the Parsons Round Table Club.
Mr. and Mrs. Woodworth organized the Thrifty Thrivers 4-H Club in 1937 and were its leaders for 10 years. They were on the initial advisory committee that built Parsons Presbyterian Manor and served on the committee for 18 years. They moved into the manor in 1994.
Mrs. Woodward is survived by nieces and nephews. She was preceded in death by a brother, Virgil Thomas; two half-brothers, Martin Thomas and Bill Thomas; and two half-sisters, Lonva Nunnink and Irma Thomas.
The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Friday at the Presbyterian Manor chapel. Burial will be in Springhill Cemetery near Parsons. Friends may call at Carson-Wall Funeral Home at their convenience.
Memorials are suggested to the Presbyterian Manor of Parsons or First Presbyterian Church of Parsons and may be left at or sent to the funeral home at Box 942, Parsons, 67357.